In Los Angeles County, total revenues reached $121.1 billion in 2008. The largest segments were entertainment at $47.9 billion, followed by fashion at $36.3 billion.
In Orange County, revenues of the creative indsutries totaled $18.0 billion. Fashion was the largest segment at $5.6 billion, followed by furniture at $3.1 billion.
The total (direct and indirect) regional output of the creative industries was estimated to be $276.6 billion in Los Angeles County and $34.2 billion in Orange County in 2008.
The Fast Facts:
- One million direct and indirect jobs in Los Angeles and Orange counties.
- $139.0 billion in sales/receipts generated by the creative industries in 2008.
- Over $5.1 billion in state tax revenues generated.
- The major business sector in the region.
- In 2008, there were 342,300 total employees in creative industries in Los Angeles County, and 44,500 in Orange County.
- In 2009, there were 6,872 fashion establishments in Los Angeles County directly employing 105,853 people. In Orange County, there were 743 fashion-related businesses, directly employing 15,355 people.
How do the creative industries rank among other major business sectors in the region? In Los Angeles County, creative indsutries would be first, well ahead of international trade (281,000 direct jobs in 2008) and business and professional services (268,000 jobs). With the date in this report, it is clear that the creative industries can be used to “brand” Southern California.